Dr. Jen
Dr. Jen, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years experience as a small animal veterinarian
38314771

how much amoxicillin for a 17 pound dog

how much amoxicillin for a 17 pound dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jen replied 6 years ago.
Hi I'm Dr. Jen,

The dose of Amoxicillin for a 17 pound dog is 150mg twice a day. (20mg/kg dose) Of course I can't diagnose her over the internet so it's difficult to say if this would be appropriate for Bailey or not. My best advice would to get her to a vet as soon as you are able to. (I know you are planning to.) She may require a stronger antibiotic if it is pneumonia. Also coughing can be related to heart problems in dogs, in which case an antibiotic wouldn't help.
I hope this helps and that she feels better soon!
Thanks,
Dr. Jen
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This cough cropped up in incredibly hot humid weather (90+ degree and high humidity) I think it may be from the fan blowing on her all night...she sounds rattly and has this horrible cough (almost sounds like croup in a child). It appears she's trying to get flem up but it's not happening for her. I'm not a vet (that's why I am consulting you) but I'd bet it's probably not her heart. I will give her a dose of amox tonight and maybe some in the a.m. but get her to the vet as well. Thank you for you help....

Expert:  Dr. Jen replied 6 years ago.
Try to keep her quiet, comfortable and well rested and give her lots of TLC. Amoxicillin is usually a very safe drug. I hope she feels better. Good luck with her.