Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I think my dog just ate a disposable razor blade about 15 minutes

I think my dog just ate a disposable razor blade about 15 minutes ago. His mouth doesn't seem to be cut, and he is acting normal. I have no way to get him to a vet. Is there any chance he could survive this? Should I give him some food to try and buffer his stomach?

Hello!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this.

When dogs swallow sharp objects we follow what the human doctors do to children. Feed your dog some food or treats with cotton balls in them, (not synthetic cotton balls). The theory is that the cotton will catch an protect the blade during passage. I know it sounds silly but there are many reports of the cotton balls and blades passing through without problems.

I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how many cotton balls?

As many as you can get him to eat, I'd try for 5-10.

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is there any chance the cotton balls could cause a blockage? How long till he might pass this?

If the cotton balls are synthetic then yes it is possible to cause a blockage. If they are real, then it is unlikely.

They will take 12-48 hours to pass.

Dr. Dan