Dr. Wally
Dr. Wally, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian with 20 years of experience in the veterinary field.
12284676

can I give my dog ,35 lbs, olive oil in his food for his skin

can I give my dog ,35 lbs, olive oil in his food for his skin? I have tried everything, even meds from the vet....but he still is itching and scratching!

You can give olive oil for the skin, but fish oil works better. Let me know the weight of your dog and I can give you the correct dose.

-Dr. Wally

I will be away from my computer for a few hours. I can provide you with some remedies for itching skin if you would like. Just let me know.

-Dr. Wally

I re-read your post and saw that your dog is 35 pounds.

For fish oil (supplement available at any pharmacy) give your dog 2 capsules per day. You can hide them in food or pop them open, as most dogs like the taste. They are either 1200 or 1000mg...either one works.

Omega 3 fish oil can reduce inflammation of the skin but studies show the effects are not usually seen for 4-6 weeks. So keep it up for a while.

If your pup is still itching, seek advice from your vet to pinpoint allergies that may be causing the trouble.