How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steve O. Your Own Question
Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4277
Experience:  I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Steve O. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog may have licked ant powder, we just got bk from the

This answer was rated:

My dog may have licked ant powder, we just got bk from the vet and his temp is slightly high. she checked with the poisons line and they said the concentrate wasnt that high in the powder so he should be fine. we have washed his feet so there is no powder on him but he is just laying on the floor and is shivering from time to time. he isnt walking very well either


Hi, I'm Dr. Steve. I agree with your vet. The concentration of poison in ant baits is very low and it is very rare to cause a serious or lethal problem in a dog that just licked a little. This doesn't mean that the won't get sick from licking it. There are no specific antidotes and depending on the ingredient, it usually isn't necessary to induce vomiting. The best thing to do is to make him comfortable and let his system work the poison out. This may take ea few hours to one day. If he isn't better in 24 hours after he licked the poison or if he shows other symptoms, you should contact your vet again. He should be OK, but it may take e a little time. Good Luck


PLease click the accept button after reading this information. Thanks

Steve O. and 3 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Veterinary Questions