Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

what can i do for my dogs tracheitis. hes very uncomfort

Customer Question

what can i do for my dog's tracheitis. he's very uncomfortable
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Is he on any other medication besides doxycycline?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the information. I would ask your vet to get him on a cough medication to block the coughing reflex as well. An opioid based cough medication like hydrocodone or butorphanol would work best. They help to block the cough reflex centrally. If he has a lot of mucus and congestion, an expectorant like Cough Tabs may help as well. That will help to break up the mucus, so he can cough it up better. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you. He's not coughing all that much. She did give me a cough suppresant just in

case. He's more like gagging - his throat is all red and irritated. I was looking more for

something I could do for him to soothe his throat a little.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
You are very welcome. Well, a small amount of Temaril or straight prednisone will help. That tends to work best for controlling th inflammation. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it okay to let him chew on a popsicle or something?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Popsicles are usually fine. Just don't let him consume too much. Don't let him eat or chew on the stick either. The cold popsicle may give temporary relief, but it probably won't make too much of a difference. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. He seemed to enjoy it. I gave him half and he seems more comfortable.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Good. Give that a try until you can have your vet check him out again. Like I said, it will probably give temporary relief, just don't overdue it. Good luck!!!