Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

My dog is urinating uncontrolable. While she is lying down

Customer Question

My dog is urinating uncontrolable. While she is lying down she is urinating and just lays there and goes all over herself. Never has she done this before and she also seems lethargic and her nose seems warm and dry. What should I do? She is a 3 1/2 yo Belgian Malinois and has been my constant companion since she was 3 months. She seemed fine until we returned home from the dog park and within an hour she started exhibiting these symptoms. It's late and I'm very worried about her. We have just moved in the last few days and I'm wondering if she is just a little tramatize from the change.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. So she is not aware she is passing urine?

2. Has she been spayed?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She has been spayed and dosen't appear to realize she is urinating. She has looked down and licked herself a couple of times but she is just laying in her bed and a puddle is forming all around her.
Thanks for the quick reply.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you that there are two forms of incontinence in the dog. One is the incontinence of cystitis [ bladder infections ] where the dog knows what is going on but has to go anyway.The second form is urinary incontinence of the spayed bitch and judging from your question I am sure there is some degree of possibility that this is what Lilly is suffering from. Since this form of incontinence would be a strong possibility I will tell you what I know about it.

1. It tends to affect large and giant breeds such as Dobermans, Rotweillers, GSDs, Labs etc. this is a size issue so it could well affect your breed.

2. It affects spayed bitches.

3. The dog is not aware she is doing it, you will see bed wetting, damp patches on the carpet where the dog has been lying, and urine will dribble out of the dog as she walks or is lying down.

4. The cause of this disease is relaxation of the urethral sphincter.

5. It is easily treatable via prescription drugs your vet can supply, one group of drugs used to treat this condition contain phenylpropanolamine, the one I use had the trade name Propalin, this is possibly your best option it is given orally. Other drugs which can be used are female hormones.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much, this has eased my mind greatly. I will keep her outside tonight and contact a vet in the morning. I am disabled and she means the world to me and I was afraid she had something serious and life threatening. Is the treatment expensive and how long will she have to take this med?
Hello again,

No problem, glad to have advised you ...

If we are dealing with urinary incontinence of the spayed bitch then sometimes the treatment has to be given long term sometimes for the rest of the dog's life. However it is easy to administer as it just a case of adding a few drops to your dog's food each day and it is also available in tablet form. Once the disease is under control then I always advise clients to cut the dose down both in terms of amount given and the frequency at which it is given as so arrive at the lowest [ and cheapest ] minimum effective dose.

The cost will vary with the individual dog depending on how much she needs each day but here is a link to a site with pricing information : LINK

Many vets will give you a prescription so you can buy it online. It is also available under the trade name proin : LINK

Good luck,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you again and God bless you sir.
No problem, very glad to have advised you.

Good luck with Lilly,

Scott