Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dog is whining a lot. She walks around the house whining.

Customer Question

My dog is whining a lot. She walks around the house whining. Out in the yard. She even will pick up her favorite toy and walk around with it in her mouth whining. She gets plenty of exercise and played with often. I am not sure what she is trying to tell us.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about Joie's situation. How long has this whining been going on now? Any vomiting? Any decreased appetite? Is she moving around as well as she normally does? Going up and down stairs as well or jumping on couches?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Its been going on about a week... maybe less. No vomitting or decrease in appetite. She moves around just fine. Jumps up on our bed, chair, and couch without effort. She runs up and down our deck and front stairs w/o problems.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
Is she whining all day or at a particular time? Anything big change in her environment? People move out?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It seems like all day... not at a particular time. It seems like the only time she isnt whining is when she is alseep. Nothing stressfull or anxiety provoking has occurred in our house or in her outside environment.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
Ok. The whining that she's doing could be related to a medical issue causing discomfort. Where this source of discomfort is coming from can be a challenge to find in some cases. With labs her age, the most common would be mild arthritis. This may not be displaying itself with her yet as decreased activity or lameness as it may be very mild. Could it be a dental issue? A cracked tooth or cavity? Could she have a kidney or bladder stone? Could it be an inner ear infection? The list is going to be a long one. At this point, it is good that she's otherwise doing well. But, making sure we're not missing something is key. I would recommend a physical exam by your vet to evaluate all her systems. I would also recommend for a girl her age to have routine geriatric blood work done to make sure she's not having any underlying issues going on too.
If we rule out pain, then the big thing that comes up next is a behavioral issue. Can she be having some cognitive issues that are causing her to be like this? This is a diagnosis by rule out.