Dr Eli
Dr Eli, Veterinarian
Experience:  40 years of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery
18785899

Dew Claw nail bed swollen, red, infection My 14 year old dogs

Dew Claw nail bed swollen, red, infection?
My 14 year old dog's flesh surrounding her front dew claw appears red and swollen. She has been licking it--sometimes for hours at night. IS this something I can treat at home (with antibiotic ointment for example) or does she need a vet visit? It is really hot here so I don't want to make her walk all the way to the vet's office if I don't have to.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Eli replied 6 years ago.
Good evening, this usually occurs when the nail grows into the skin when it gets too long. But you said you had the nails trimmed, so if there is infection in the toe it does need antibiotics. You can put neosporin on the infected toe twice daily and it should help within 2-3 days. If it is not responding to the topical neosporin after 3 days, I recommend taking her to your vet for an exam. I hope this information helps, Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX