Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

My dog has sudden jaw pain on Monday- we took her to an emergency

My dog has sudden jaw pain on Monday- we took her to an emergency vet who said it was slightly swollen and gave her an anti-inflammatory shot to help it calm down. She thought it might have been bruised or she got a bad bug bite in the general area, she moved the dog's head around- no issues. Felt inside the dog's mouth- didn't think it was an abscess. Dog seemed back to normal after that- no problems but a slight hesitation when yawning. Today however, she can barely yawn and went to bit a bone that was hanging around the house and yelped. She is in obvious pain again. I would like to take her to her regular vet in the morning rather than another emergency vet. I have two questions- should I take her to emergency? and can I give her Aspirin for the pain in the meantime. Thanks so much!
Hello there,

Is she able to drink?

Is she on any other meds right now?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Gave her some benadryl this morn- that is all. She can drink and eat treats- though she isn't really chewing them- just swallowing.
If she can get food and water down, she should be OK until morning. Buffered aspirin can be used at 5 mg per pound body weight every 12-24 hours as needed, but it must be given with food.