Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery

my dog has been biting and pulling out her hair from her lower

my dog has been biting and pulling out her hair from her lower tail bone, and the top of her tail. i have tried hypoallergenic baths, i bought some nu stock and she wont let me put it on her tail. she snaps at me, and now even giving her a bath is hard. her hair is all over the place, and i just dont know what to do! i dont have lots of money to spend, and i just really want her to stop pulling out her tail hair, it looks horrible.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 6 years ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Is the hair loss only on the tail?

And the hair loss is on both the end of the tail and near the rear end?

Any other area with hair loss?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it is all closest to the top of her tail, she doesn't bite on the end at all that i have seen. she will bite on it, then start pulling it out. she bites on her lower back, but i have not seen her pull anything out there.
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 6 years ago.

So are there any hair loss aside from the tail?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not that i can tell, no. but the top of her tail is almost bald at this point, and she still bites.
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

What you are seeing is likely from flea dermatitis or contact allergy or behavioral issues such as anxiety. It is best to have her go see your vet for exam and get steroid and control the problem. If that is not possible, then you can try giving her some human Benadryl at 1 mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Also, I would suggest to discontinue all topical products you are using currently. If there is no improvement after 2 to 3 days, then you really should take her to your vet for a checkup.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.