Dr Eli
Dr Eli, Veterinarian
Experience:  40 years of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery

my dog ate a pork bone six hours ago and now she is shaking

my dog ate a pork bone six hours ago and now she is shaking and looks sick. She threw up an hour ago and had diarhea. Now all she is doing is sleeping and waking up with shaking. I have Cerenia tablets for vomiting. Should I give her a tablet even though she isn't vomiting anymore? Now she is just snoring and sleeping.
Good morning, Is Lilli vomiting and does she have diarrhea? How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Good morning. Lilli vomited vomited once and then five minutes after coming back inside, she went out again and had very loose bowels. Since then she has been sleeping on and off and stays really close to me. Presently she is sleeping but she wakes up sporadically with shaking. Now, she has been sleeping consistently for 20 minutes without shakes.

Lilli weighs 13 pounds. She is a Shih Tzu.

Thank you.

It is very common to have a GI upset after eating pork or chewing on a pork bone. If they eat the bone , there is another danger of getting an obstruction. You can give her pepto-bismol at a dose of 1 tsp three times daily. This should help calm her GI tract, but if not better by this afternoon, I would take her to your vet for an exam and possible x-rays. I hope this information helps, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

I would give the pepto instead of the cerenia because it should help the diarrhea more.

Edited by Dr Eli on 6/30/2010 at 11:03 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Why does she shake?
She probably has some abdominal discomfort from the irritated bowel
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much. I feel less afraid and helpless. This site is a great idea. You were very helpful.

Take Care and have a pleasant day. Laughing

you are welcome, hope your little dog does well