Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

my nursing dog has constant diarrhea

my nursing dog has constant diarrhea
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 years ago.

The most common cause of diarrhea in puppies this young is going to be internal parasites- worms, coccidia or giardia.

I would get a fecal check done to look for these. If worms, then we treat with Panacur, Pyrantel or Drontal. If coccidia, then we treat with Albon. If giardia, then we treat with Metronidazole.

If the fecal is negative, then I would do a deworming with Panacur and put her on Metronidazole for 5 days as it also helps with any bacterial or viral causes of diarrhea as well.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She also is loosing her hair and is very lethargic. I know losing hair is normal. Can she also be malnutritioned? I will take her to the vets tomorrow. Are all those meds over the counter and will she get better after she totally stops nursing and the puppies are gone?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 years ago.
I believe Pyrantel is over the counter, but the others are only available through your vet.

If she has worms, then yes she will not be getting the nutrients she needs.

She should improve when she's done nursing the pups, but I'd want her taken care of now so she can continue to nurse/ wean the puppies normally.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, it's Wed and I took your advice and took her to the vets and she has an intestional infection, so they put her on 2 antiobiotics and she has to eat chicken and rice with Metamucil. She has to be away from the puppies which is very hard! But they said she should be better in 2 weeks. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the update, sounds like she'll be back to normal soon.