Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog just recently started shaking and she cant walk very

My dog just recently started shaking and she can't walk very far without wanting to lay back down. All she really does is drink water. She was fine no more than 3 hours ago. What's wrong with her?

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- How old is your dog?

2- Is she drinking more than usual?

3- Take a look at her gums and see if they are pink like yours or pale?

4- Is her gait normal or not?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is 2 year old.
And yes she is drinking more than usual.
They are a very light pink.
Her gait is not normal she is usually running around and playing. Now she's panting and it seems like its her 2 hind legs that are shaking. Does it matter that she had puppies about 3 weeks ago?

Can you take a rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry. I don't have a thermometer.

Is she still nursing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. She was. Although now that her shaking has started she won't go near her pups.

Her symptoms are consistent with "eclampsia" which is low calcium secondary to the demands of lactating and her body not keeping up with normal plasma calcium levels. This is a very serious condition and if untreated can be fatal. You need to take her in to see a veterinarian immediately. They will measure her blood calcium and treat accordingly.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Eclampsia is what's causing her shaking and frequent drinks of water? I thought that's what pregnant females get.
It can happen from 2-3 weeks before giving birth up to 4 weeks after giving birth; it can happen at any time. Her history is very consistent with possible eclampsia and needs to be ruled out and the only way to rule out is via a blood test. The symptoms of eclampsia are weakness, muscle fasciculations, hyperthermia, vomiting, diarrhea, and eventually will have cardiac arrhythmias, seizures, and possible death. This is why it is important to rule it out. It could be other things like musculoskeletal disorders, but, base on history it is the disease we want to rule out immediately.