Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD, 47 years experience.

I have an red nose pit bull/bull mastiff mix hes about 101

I have an red nose pit bull/bull mastiff mix he's about 101 lbs. and he will no way no how let us touch his feet to cut his nails. We had them done once before and the doctor, me, and my husband had to practically get on top of him he even gets upset when my husband cuts his own nails, anyway since he does not like his nails clipped he has very long nails, can they be hurting him since he is always licking his paws? His such a big baby and very gentle but just doesn't like his feet touched
Hi there,

I think if you could walk and run him on concrete the nails would wear down. It is possible he is licking his feet because the nails are long because they do throw off the proper angle of the feet to the ground and might cause some discomfort, but it is also possible he is licking his feet as a symptom of Canine Inhalation Dermatitis or Atopy. That is usually the first sign of Atopy, licking feet and rubbing his face. Does he do the latter?