petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

The whites of my dogs eyes have turned yellow. her gums and

Customer Question

The whites of my dogs eyes have turned yellow. her gums and inner ears are also turning a orangeish color. Also sudden drastic weight loss. what could be causing this. is her liver failing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 years ago.

Which sounds like you're describing is the condition called jaundice. There are multiple reasons why it can occur in liver failure is just one of them. Another possible cause can be anything that obstructs the flow of bile from the gallbladder like a tumor would do, but even a severe pancreatitis can do this. Another very common cause is a condition where the body starts destroying its own red blood cells. Because the cells are destroyed rapidly and the body can't keep up these dogs become anemic and jaundiced. Sometimes there is an underlying reason why this red blood cell destruction happens but very often a cause cannot be found. These dogs can be treated but the treatment must be quick and aggressive if it is to be effective.

I would strongly recommend that you have your dog examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Your best hope at treatment or resolution of the problem is with early intervention. Good luck with her and please let me know if you have any further questions.