Dr Eli
Dr Eli, Veterinarian
Experience:  40 years of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery

My dog gets sick to his stomch every two weeks almost to the

My dog gets sick to his stomch every two weeks almost to the day. There is some pretty loud gurgling noises, he runns out and eats grass then throws up. If there is nothing in his stomach he just dry heaves. My vet tested him for addison's disease, we altered his diet to be very strict with no people food, we stopped his arthritis medication and nothing has worked. Please help us it is tearing my heart out to see him not feeling good!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Eli replied 6 years ago.
Good evening, Is Clod taking anything to try to control this? Is there ever any diarrhea? How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes , his doctor gave us Reglan 10ml 2 tabs 2 times a day. Also 1 pecid a day. He does't really get diarrhea that only happens every once in a while. He is always between 90lbs and 93lbs.
Expert:  Dr Eli replied 6 years ago.
Sounds like your vet is treating this the way I usually start out. If your dog is still having these symptoms while on these medications, I think another possibility is IBD [inflammatory bowel disease] this can be diagnosed by taking biopsies of the stomach wall and the intestine with a scope. Sometimes if the owner will not let me do the biopsies, I will start the animals on tapering schedule of prednisone to see if I can stop the symptoms. If this is IBD, it should respond to pred. I always give the pepcid along with the pred to help protect the stomach wall. I hope this information helps, Thank you. Dr. Eli
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He was on prednisone for several months last year I beleive it was temeril or temerol it had a low dose of pred with something else in it to help treat a pretty sever skin condition he gets a some point in the year from allergies. Could stopping the pred cause this even though I was giving him a very low doese. I only gave him half a tab per day at the end.
Expert:  Dr Eli replied 6 years ago.
I do not think stopping the temaril-P caused it, but if he does have IBD or an allergic gastritis, the temaril may help. I have used it daily for 5 days, then go to every other day. for 2-3 weeks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That sounds great, the only thing that is still bugging me is the frequency he gets sick it is 14 days almost to the minute for the last few months, it remided me of a parasitic life cycle like malyria. I know it is not that but is it possible that some other type of bug may be in him?
Expert:  Dr Eli replied 6 years ago.

this does not fit the pattern of any parasites I know of, in fact most internal parasites will cause more diarrhea than vomiting and gastric problems. Another thought is I have seen a dog with a hiatal hernia that had periodic vomiting. this can sometimes be diagnosed with a barium x-ray series or with a scope.