Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320
Dog Veterinary

I noticed a hard, pimple like bump on my dogs head. I can

I noticed a hard, pimple... Show More
I noticed a hard, pimple like bump on my dog's head. I can easily see it because it is hairless. Now I have also found a small, hard, white, hailess, almost calous-like bump on her outer elbow too. And to top it off she also has a puffy lump on the side of her footpad that almost looks like a puncture wound! What can be going on here???
Category: Dog Veterinary
replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello. I'll wait for you to join chat so we can discuss.

Customer:

hello

Customer:

I am familiar with hives, she has had a breakout of these twice in the past.

Customer:

i agree

Customer:

the bump on her head looks like a hard pimple, and the one on her elbow just looks white

Dr. Andy :

First, that foot needs to be evaluated ASAP. If a wound or reaction, she would really need to get into a vet to have it examined, and she will need likely antibiotics and maybe even a steroid for the inflammation. Actually, a steroid would be treatment of choice with any swelling resulting from a reaction.

Dr. Andy :

Now, the bump on the head. Your vet may say nothing. If concerned,they may recommend a simple fine-needle aspirate test.

Dr. Andy :

A fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to determine if it is anything to be worried.

Cytology

.

Fine-needle aspirate test

Customer:

her foot does not seem to be bothering her though

Dr. Andy :

But, the priority absolutely goes to that paw. Even if, it is not bothering her.

Dr. Andy :

If there is a disctinct puffy or swelling appearance to it, and a suspicious for a wound, it must get addressed ASAP. You don't want an infection ensuing in that paw. Not worth taking a wait and see approach.

Customer:

do you think any of these bumps could be an onset of ringworm?

Dr. Andy :

No. Generally, ringworm is not a raised lesion. It is more of a circular irritation on the skin.

Customer:

oh, that's a relief to me!

Dr. Andy :

Certainly, don't take me at 100%. I am sure you understand. Without examining myself, palpating the skin, my guesses can only be so good.

Dr. Andy :

:)

Customer:

she is allergic to penicillin, is this what they would treat the wound with usually?

Customer:

I understand :)

Dr. Andy :

Not necessarily. Lots of antibiotic choices that may be suitable. Just make sure your vet is aware of the penicillin issue.

Customer:

if it is a puncture wound from something she stepped on, won't it heal on its own?

Dr. Andy :

Not that I would bet on!

Dr. Andy :

Especially, if there is already some swelling.

Customer:

ok! Now, the small white bump on her elbow......it is above where the normal calous is, so I believe it is something other than that.

Dr. Andy :

Understood. may be simple for your vet once they see it and palpate. It is possible they may suggest a fine-needle aspirate test of that bump as well.

Customer:

and also, on her head where the pimple like lump is, it also looks as if the hair is starting to raise in other areas around it, like others may be coming!

Customer:

she has many unknown allergies and I just don't know what to do, or if it is something I am giving her that is causing all of this :(

Dr. Andy :

Why assume? Well worth having your vet evaluate it. Also, maybe it is a hives like reaction.

Dr. Andy :

You can't go the allergy route, yet, without having your vet evaluate them.

Dr. Andy :

Hello

Customer:

thats true!

Dr. Andy :

Not much else I can say at this point.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I also greatly appreciate positive feedback, after you click accept, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. I can only be credited for my time, if you click accept. Thanks. XXXXX

Customer:

well, thank you for your time and advice! :)

Dr. Andy :

You bet....