How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 18925
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 9 lb. Poodle just ate chocolate, He is drinking a lot of

Customer Question

My 9 lb. Poodle just ate chocolate, He is drinking a lot of water, What must we do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. When did your dog swallow the chocolate?

2. Any idea roughly how much he ate? { ounces }

3. Was it milk or dark chocolate { One is more toxic than the other }

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just found out that both of my dogs ate the chocolate . Daisy is 8 lbs and Rex is 9 lbs. The ate 4 malted milk ball each. It was milk chocolate and the balls are hollow on the inside.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the quick reply,

This is a common situation with dogs, while chocolate can be toxic to dogs they have to eat quite a lot, probably much more than your dogs ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because :

The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate each dog's weight as being in the region of 8 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 5.8 ozs { more than 1/4 pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would occur. Another factor would be that main ingredient of these candies was not chocolate, it was just a coating.

I am telling you the following just for your information as your dogs ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include drinking excessively, vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS

Related Dog Veterinary Questions