Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience:  Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people

My female dog has a red sac hanging from her vagina, any thoughts

Customer Question

My female dog has a red sac hanging from her vagina, any thoughts on what this vcould be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 4 years ago.
Hello this is Dr. Aaron,
When did you first notice this? Has it changed in appearance (size/shape, etc)? Is Shelby intact (has she been spayed?)?

I look forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I first noticed it yesterday at approx. 3:00 pm. Yes it has changd in appearance. It has dropped more out from her body and is now hanging very low. She has not been spayed yet.
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for quickly answering my questions. What you are describing is most often either vaginal hyperplasia (increased production of associated cells) or vaginal prolapse (resulting in the red sack you are noting). Often times these issues are related to the ebb and flow of female hormones. Spaying your dog will likely help in preventing this from occurring in the future.

As far as what to do now...if she does not seem to be in pain, is eating, drinking, urinating, and defecating normally then you can probably safely wait until tomorrow morning before you take her to your local vet. If she is exhibiting any abnormalities (other than the 'red sack') then I would not hesitate to immediately take her to your local emergency hospital.

If you choose to wait until tomorrow you should make sure that the 'sack' remains very clean. If you have any sterile, water based lubricant (ky jelly) you can apply some of this to the sack to make sure it does not dry out.

Best of luck! Please feel free to ask any additional questions.
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 4 years ago.
If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to ask, otherwise I would appreciate if you could click on accept to allow me to get paid for my time. Thank you and good luck with your dog!
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 4 years ago.
Hello, if you have any additional questions please feel free to ask away. If you are satisfied with my response please click the accept button otherwise I do not get paid for my time. Thank you!