Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my boxer has broken out in bumps all over his body.. he isnt

Customer Question

my boxer has broken out in bumps all over his body.. he isn't acting any different, but in the light you can see the lumps from his hair sticking up. is it serious enough we should take him to the vet? or maybe just mosquito bites?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Did this come up suddenly?

2. How is your Boxer otherwise?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we just noticed this yesterday and he is not acting any differently! he plays, runs around and eats normal.
Thanks for the quick reply.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I have to say that any sudden onset of skin hives or welts { bumps } on the body is typical of an allergic reaction. This is actually very common and is usually the result of an allergy to an insect bite.

I am aware that many people treat this with the likes of benadryl, provided your dog is otherwise bright alert and happy then you should do no harm with this class of drug. Here is a link to the use of benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK . However if this is a reaction to an insect bite the symptoms would be likely to go down over a 48 hour period without treatment anyway.

If your dog is unwell at all or there are other symptoms other than the skin hives or it does not quickly resolve you should consult your vet as soon as is practicable.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS