Dr. Christie
Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 7 years of practice
16703648

What kind of antibiotics can I give to my dog beside this

Customer Question

What kind of antibiotics can I give to my dog beside this one vetoquinol
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christie replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, this is Dr. Christie.

Vetoquinol is a company that carries medications that are used in dogs that have kidney disease/failure. One of the most common products is Azodyl.

Is Rocky on this medication?

Why are you looking to put Rocky on an antibiotic?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
because he is using one now for his cherry eye which is neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates and bactricin opthalmic ointment.is this aN ANTIBIOTIC FOR CHERRY RED EYE.Is there any other medication better than this.we are worry for his cherry eye and if there any options rather than surgery please help us for this.

Thank you for the information.

Unfortunately there is no other medication to resolve a cherry eye. A cherry eye is where a physical portion of the eye (this is a gland) luxates out of place. Because of this, to resolve it, the gland actually has to be physically put back in place. The good news is, that once it is replaced, dogs tend to do wonderful!

Here is a free article concerning cherry eye in dogs: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cherry-eye-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Dr. Christie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we used this medication for 15 days after ten days it was gone for a day then it came back.Now 3 days after we dont have any medicine.do we still need more of this medication and massage and keep on trying or surgery is the last remedy?

You can certainly get some more of the medication and continue to try, but likely you will need surgery to replace the prolapsed gland. Even with getting it back in place, eventually it will prolapse again at some point and continue to do so until it is sutured back in place.

Dr. Christie