Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery

My dog has a large lump under his left eye that came on suddenly.

My dog has a large lump under his left eye that came on suddenly. His nose is swollen. When we brought him to the vet he just gave us a medication (gel) to put in his eye. I am really doubting the vet at this point. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Is the lump on the eyelid or on the skin?

What do you mean by the nose is swollen? Do you have a picture of it?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It seems to be under his eye lid, lower lid. I can take a picture of it, if that helps
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

Can you please take a picture so I can see it? You can post the picture here.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry, the picture is not showing up. Can you please re-post it? Perhaps the file is too big.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it will not let me add it again

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

Is the lump in contact with the eyeball?

Or is the lump actually on the haired surface of the skin near the eyelid?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In contact with the eye ball. It is pushing out his lower lid- it looks a soft pink and mushy. Sorry I am having trouble explaining this. His nose is also puffed up. The eye itself has no redness to it. The lower lid is being pushed out by this puffy mass. It came on today, so it has not been a prolonged issue.
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

That is actually very helpful. What you are seeing is likely a meibomian gland tumor (aka eyelid tumor). They are benign and when they are in contact with the cornea, it needs to be removed surgically. Eye medication will simply keep the eyeball from getting infected. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that the mass needs to be removed. It is a relatively simple procedure and should not take more than 30 minutes of anesthesia time to have that done.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there any chance it could be allergies? Yesterday he has a bump above his other eye- noticed in the fur area but pushing his top eye lid down. I just thought maybe he bumped it. It went away shortly there after. Also thinking back he did have a slight rash under his belly yesterday, near his penis
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

Yes this can be allergy. But allergy does not actually cause a mass/lump. If the area is simply swollen, then allergy is possible, as well as an infection/abscess. If you like, you can try to give some human Benadryl at 1 mg per pound of body weight and give it every 8 hours. If after 2 to 3 days there is no improvement, then he should go back to your vet and ask about the eyelid tumor.

Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery