Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My Dog is having an awful gurgling sound and looks like he

My Dog is having an awful gurgling sound and looks like he can't breath though his nose. He's about 10 years old and don't know if it's allergies or something serious. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Where is the gurgling noise coming from, nose?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Besides the noise any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi - Thanks for your help. His gurgling sounds like it's more coming up through his throat. It sounds like he can't breath. I noticed last night that when he's laying still he has to open his mouth to breath and it not breathing through his nose. I am hearing that gurgling when he is inhaling and exhaling. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. He is still eating and drinking well. It's sounds suffocating.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

This type of breathing is a concern because this could be the result of fluid build up in the lungs which could be the result of either primary heart or lung problems. Less likely could be nasal infections, polyps, tumors, etc. I would recommend that you have him seen today by your veterinarian. There is not much I can recommend for you to do at home, he needs to be diagnosed first then treated according to findings on physical exam. In the meantime, I would advise to limit his physical activity to leash walk to urinate and defecate, no jumping or running.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter