Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.

Hi My dog is approx 58 days pregnant and is breathing heavily.

Hi My dog is approx 58 days pregnant and is breathing heavily. Is she in labour or should i be calling the emergency vet?

HI there,

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to try to help you out.

1) Do you know if her rectal temp has fallen or what it is now? This is a primary way to tell if labor is pending. Falls to 99 at 24 hours prior to labor.

2) Is she passing any mucus? or fluids? Usually begins about 12-24 hours before. Occasionally can happen in small amount before that.

She may be having some early contractions -- but may or may not proceed into labor.

The average gestation time is 63 days -- but can be misscalculated. The range of healthy gestation time is between 58-65 days. So she is in range.

Watch her closely. When she starts laying down and doing very heavy breathing and pushing - that will be the start of labor-- then a pup should be produced within 30 minutes -- alllowing no more than 2 hours between pups.

Do be sure that you have spoken to your vet to know when they would want you to call -- usually I liek to have my client call me at the start of labor and then discuss when to call and identify problems.

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

she has been panting on and off since sunday and has passed some clear/cloudy mucus occasionally in since last saturday, but the panting and heavy breathing is definately faster tonight

Im sorry I only have access to a forehead thermometer so I have no idea what her temp is - sorry, but her nose is warm and dry which is concerning me.

HI there,

I am sorry I was logged off overnight --

It sounds like she is very close -- a call to your vet this morning (provided you did not have puppies over night) would be in order.

Usually the begining of labor will hearld with them being unable to be comfortable, lying down , with some abdominal efforts to push.