Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Is it ok to give a dog a baby aspirin (81 mg) My 15 lb 7

Is it ok to give a dog a baby aspirin (81 mg)?
My 15 lb 7 year old shelter dog, poodle-mix, has never "voiced" an injury - never whimpers or yelps - so it is hard to tell when he has been hurt. Today, while on his outdoor lead, he wrapped around and overturned 4 patio chairs while chasing a squirrel (or other creature). I was in the house and didn't see it happen but when I went outside, he was crouched, as if hiding, under another sturdier chair on the patio. He was trembling and when I picked him up he closed his eyes as if he were sleeping. No whimpering or yelping. I drove him to my Vet's office but it was closed. He is not his usual self and the only thing I could think of to give him was a baby aspirin. Should I repeat this med again? I will have him checked by our vet asap Friday (tomorrow). He currently is under a sofa where I can't reach him and I will need
a neighbor's help in the morning to get him out from there if he doesn't come out on his own.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose your dog's problem via the internet I can tell you the following :

In direct answer to your question : Yes aspirin is given to dogs and is regarded as safe as compared to the other over the counter human pain killers such as Tylenol { acetaminophen } or Ibuprofen. Such drugs are not used often in dogs these days there are much better alternatives for controlling fever and pain and there have been incidents reported of side effects and toxicity with many of these drugs.

So on a short term home remedy basis until you can get to the vet aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers and aspirin is commonly prescribed for dogs. A typical dose rate would be is 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS