Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

My dog swallowed a bone fragment. He was vomiting and had diarrhea

My dog swallowed a bone fragment. He was vomiting and had diarrhea with blood in it. My vet tells me they've looked inside and the bone has now passed. But he has inflammed and swollen intestines. His condition is stable. Could he die from this? What would usually be the recovery time?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 4 years ago.

HI there,,

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you out.

This can be a difficult situation -- since we likely do not know how bad it is. The outcome will depend on 1) rate of loss of red blood cells (how much damage) 2) If there is any perforation of the intestine (result in infection of the abdominal cavity)

Provided that the bone did not puncture the intestine in any place, The healing time for the lining of the intestine is 7-10 days --- the lining can completely renew itself in that time. Usually improvement is noted with supportive care (fluids) with in 3-5 days.

It will be important to monitor the blood loss -- be on an IV or subcutaneous fluid if it is bad to prevent dehydration -- this is especially true with the vomiting/diarrhea being resent.Checking the red blood cell count to see if a transfusion becomes necessary (if the body cannot keep up with the loss).

There are medications that can be given to soothe the linings (carafate) or slow the movement, or reduce acid production -- some are oral meds (not given with vomiting) but some have injectable forms that could be given.

Also, when it comes time for eating (no vomiting) -- a BLAND easily digested food is important (hills I/D or Low residue -- from the vet. At home -- white rice and boiled chicken).

These measures will soothe the intestines a bit.

Depending on the situation - antibiotics will likely be recommended as well.

It may also be necessary to follow up with additional radiographs if the abdomen becomes painful to be sure no strictures have formed, or blockages occurred, or infection of the abdominal cavity.

I do hope all goes well.

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.