Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

My dog is panting and drooling and restless, and is deperately

My dog is panting and drooling and restless, and is deperately trying to eat all the grass he can find. This started last night as he was eating and continues today. He is making a coughing sound and seems to be trying to throw up when he does. I gave him a small bowl of rice with chicken broth on it and also 2 bowls of milk. He did throw up once and it was just a lot of grass. He doesn't seem much better. What could be wrong? He is eating normally but is drinking a lot of water for him normally.

He is a mix breed with some rottweiller and is around 100 pounds. Thank you for any advise.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there. This could be a serious emergency situation called "bloat", so I recommend getting your dog in to see an emergency veterinarian as soon as possible. Don't give any more milk... dogs are lactose intolerant once they are no longer puppies. But really, I would not wait another minute before having him seen by a vet to make sure he is not bloated. Best of luck.