Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

My 14 yo dog has a fatty tumor on her chin that just broke

My 14 yo dog has a fatty tumor on her chin that just broke open and bled. Is there anything I can do short of surgery. Since she is older, I'm not sure she would go through a surgery well.
Hello there,

How large is the open area?

How large is the tumor?

Is it still bleeding?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No it has stopped bleeding. The area that opened was hit by the bottom part of the hook on her leash, so it scraped it. The tumor itself is probably 2 1/2 inches in diameter maybe.

Liquid Band Aid would be the best thing to use on the skin. It protects the open area from dirt and helps the skin heal. Your local grocery store or pharmacy should have it. It should be applied after the skin is cleaned and dried. The skin over tumors gets very thin and weak over time. It may heal or it may not. I would treat the skin twice a day until it scabs over or heals. It could take quite awhile in a dog this age. I use Thermazene on these cases, but the chin area would make it a bit messy to try as it can't be covered with a bandage.