Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

If a dog is peeing a lot more than normal (double) and moping

If a dog is peeing a lot more than normal (double) and moping around, but nose is wet and he is shaking a little like he is afraid, no fever I think. Does this throw any red flags up for you or can we wait till the morning to take to see the Veterinary?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Would you say Jimmy is drinking more than normal?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>I don't think so, I have not been home that much today. His stomach has been upset too. He is running but not wanting to play as much. he is responding very well. Around his eyes, its moist. Like he is crying or something. </p><p>And he is drinking more today.</p>
Thanks for the quick reply.

In direct answer to your question : This sort of thing is always a gamble, if you want to be 100% certain you are doing the right thing you should see an ER vet without delay. However from my past experience I would say that as your dog is fairly bright and responsive at present you would be taking very little risk in waiting to see your vet during normal consulting hours tomorrow provided your dog does not deteriorate further.

While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that he is urinating in the house which is out of character but is not drinking more then he could have a urinary tract infection. These are often easily treated with antibiotics.

I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well make things worse in the absence of a precise diagnosis.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS