Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

How much Benadryl is safe to give to a 100lb Saint Bernard

How much Benadryl is safe to give to a 100lb Saint Bernard?
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your St Bernard girl Madison and a Benadryl dosage for her. It sounds like she could possibly have a food allergy - particularly if she seems to respond well when on the duck and potato food. You could even ask your Vet for the Hill's prescription diet Z/D ultra allergen free to use as a diet trial to see if her symptoms improve even more on this!

As for the benadryl, there is a pretty wide dose range. I don't think you should really venture much further past 1mg per pound for your girl every 8 hours though as giving 1.5 - 2mg per pound can cause mild sedation. So, for her weight she can safely have 4 x 25mg Benadryl pills THREE times daily (8 hours between pilling - ie: 7am, 3pm and 11pm). Try this and see if her symptoms lessen even more.

I hope this helps and let me know how you get on.

Thanks and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards