Dr. J
Dr. J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian, Internship Trained
34201048

Has anyone dealt with intestinal adhesions in dogs I have

Has anyone dealt with intestinal adhesions in dogs???? I have a 3yr old dog who got spayedon 04/15/2010 and then formed an enormous intestinal adhesion,(almost died) had surgery to remove it and im horrified thinking that she might be getting another on (i think I feel a lump) does anyone have any ideas? or have ever dealt with this??? please only respond if it is something you are knowledgeable about. Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. J replied 6 years ago.

Hi there!

Intestinal adhesions are simply internal scars that the your dog's body forms after surgery. Just like humans, each dog forms scar tissue differently and there is no way to control it.

Occasionally, intestinal adhesions can rarely cause intestinal entrapments, leading to an intestinal obstruction which requires surgery. You vet hopefully did a good clean up of the adhesion when it was removed and flushed the abdomen well which is the only "treatment" that is thought to potentially help prevent adhesions again but there is no guarantee since some animals are just super-scar formers. There has also been some research using povoiodine solutions but this has not been used in a clinical setting and the results are not conclusive.

As I said, intestinal adhesion formation is rare but does happen and unfortunately there are no ways for you or your veterinarian to prevent it. I work in a specialty/referral hospital where the ER doctors and surgeons do A LOT of surgeries and the good news is that I haven't heard of it happening more than once to a patient. If your concerned that it may happening again, you can have your veterinarian evaluate Lily and potentially have an abdominal ultrasound which is a non-invasive way to look inside the abdomen and see what is going on. Even if an adhesions forms, as long it doesn't entrap the bowel, it does not need to be removed and most dogs will reabsorb/break down the adhesion over time.

I hope this helps!

---------------------------------

Remember to click REPLY if you have any additional questions or ACCEPT if you are satisfied with my answer. I am not compensated by the website unless you click ACCEPT. Thank you.