Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My dogs lips have started turning pink in spots. Upper and

My dog's lips have started turning pink in spots. Upper and lower lip, in front, under his nose; but I also think they are getting pinker all the way back. He is 2 1/2 years old and had originally had black lips. This started about three months ago, but doesn't seem to bother him. Do you think this is serious, should I take him to the Vet or is it somewhat normal for dogs?

This depigmentation of the lips and nose can be perfectly normal. If the skin is otherwise normal (ie. no raised lesions, not itchy, the skin on the pink part of the nose matches the pigmented area), then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

There is a condition call impetigo that I see periodically. Most of the cases has been in Rottweilers, but it can occur in other breeds, too. Any dark area can become depigmented. Sometimes the color comes back, sometimes it doesn't.

But if you notice any crusting, scabs, irritation, etc, then I would take Toby in to your regular vet.