Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dog has a lump right next to his anus... it seems to be

My dog has a lump right next to his anus... it seems to be filled with blood. We noticed he just looked a little different back there yesterday, and today when we got home from work he has a jelly bean sized lump (looks like a blood blister) near his anus.

Where exactly is the lump? If you lift the tail, where is the lump using a clock face as your reference (example; it is at 4 o'clock)?

Is it open and bleeding?

Is it firm or soft?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it is bleeding
it is at about 7 o'clock
it is hard to tell how firm or soft it is cause he just tenses up so much when I go to feel it
it was not really hard
seems to have gone down quite a bit
and he has been bleeding
it looked dark kind of like a blood blister
also, our son just said he has had diarrhea all day today
he was straining to try to have a bowel movement when we took him out when we got home this evening

It sounds like Moose has an anal gland abscess that has ruptured. There are other less common conditions that can look like what you described, but the abscess is probably the most likely. I am including a link about anal glands and their potential problems.

If it is an abscess, it will need to be flushed out, and Moose will need to be put on antibiotics. Your vet may need to put a drain in to help clear out the infection as well.

Good luck and I hope this helps.