Dr. J
Dr. J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian, Internship Trained

can dogs carry the Strep A virus and pass the virus to children.

can dogs carry the Strep A virus and pass the virus to children. if so, is there a treatment for the dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. J replied 6 years ago.

Yes, dogs can carry the Strep A bacterial and can potentially pass it to humans but that is very rare. Usually, only children and adults with compromised immune systems (ie HIV and chemo patients) are at risk.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

what type of treatment would be used to treat a dog that is carryng the Strep A virus?

Expert:  Dr. J replied 6 years ago.

I would treat the a dog that had a Strep A infection with a broad spectrum antibiotic (probably Clavamox) but I would definitely have a culture and sensitivity done too in order to determine which antibiotics are effective at treating - some strains of Strep A have been shown to be multi-drug resistant.

That being said, Strep A infections in dogs are rare (since humans are the normal reservoir) - there was one study that tested over 100 dogs and found only 2 came up positive. There have also been multiple studies trying to unsuccessfully demonstrate transmission and prevalence and only 1 case report of a dog serving as a carrier for Strep A where the family members were getting infection. While transmission is theoretically possible, it is considered highly unlikely.

Hope this answers your question! If not, let me know!