Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

My Yorkie seems to be having trouble breathing , he acts like

Customer Question

My Yorkie seems to be having trouble breathing , he acts like he needs to get sick but can't or maybe his nose is clogged ? unsure . He will play and eat ,just has the gag reflex going on . Been doing for a couple of days now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

Is the dog making a sound like a pig snort?

How long does an episode last?

How often do they occur?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes , I guess you could say that is exactly what it sounds like. The noise he has been making countiues on and off through out the day , several times. I have been working long hrs at my job so I have not been home enough to give you exact , I just know its not gone away and they usually last a minute or two .Depends on what he is doing . I have also notice that when I place his collar on to take him out that it gets a little worse .
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
The pig snort that occurs in dogs is called a reverse sneeze. The exact cause is unknown, but inhaled allergens are most often suspected. Pollen, mold and dust mites are most common. If the episodes are several times a day, oral Benadryl can be used at 1/2-1 mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours as needed. If the problem persists, you need stronger meds from your vet.