Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

my dog has yellow mucus coming out of her nose, and has it

my dog has yellow mucus coming out of her nose, and has it on the trought
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

Is the dog sneezing or coughing?

Is she eating and drinking normally?

Is it coming from one nostril or both?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it seems like she is coughing, and also sneezing, she is eating and drinking normally, so far it seems the heavy green mucus is coming from one nostril, but she alo has runny nose from both

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Discharge from one nostril can indicate infection (bacterial or fungal), nasal polyps, a foreign body in the sinus, nasal tumors or even a tooth root infection. Allergic sinusitis also occurs in dogs, but both nostrils should be affected. The discharge can be examined under a microscope or cultured to see exactly what is in it. A radiograph of the skull is needed to rule out polyps and tumors. Treatment depends on diagnosis. The only thing to try at home is oral Benadryl at 1/2-1 mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours as needed for the sneezing. If the drainage persists, the dog needs to be examined.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she has 12 wks puppies at home can this be contagious for them, the just got there 2nd set of shots yesterday, or is it contagious for humans??
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
It should not be contagious to people. If there is a fungal or bacterial infection, it can be contagious to the puppies. The vaccines protect against most, but not all, viral and bacterial diseases.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we are dogsitting for another puppie that does not have the 2nd set of shots yet which came today, waht should I do, keep them away from each other, can i give tylenosl to the senior mom?, can i give benadry or tylenol to the puppies in case they get the symptoms???

Thank you in advance for your prompt response,

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Tylenol should never be given to dogs. Benadryl only helps with allergy problems. The puppies are too young for allergies. If the puppies show symptoms, they need oral meds from your vet. I would keep the visiting puppy away from the adult dog in case it is something contagious.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I spread on my carpet pet fresh odor and dirt eliminator from Arm & Hammer baking soda plus OxiClean, and they were around, could it be possible that it caused allergies??/
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Allergies rarely result in mucus formation, especially from only one nostril. None of those products should have affected the dog.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.