Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
7995545

my dog is constipated from eating bones what can i do besides

my dog is constipated from eating bones what can i do besides never feeding her dog bones again. Her weight is 62 lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I would like to help you and Chula with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

When did she last pass a bowel movement?

Any vomiting?

When did she eat the bones? What type of bones - chicken? lamb? other?

Fiona

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

bowel movement yesterday. Hard

Yes, vomiting

this past Wednesday, port bone

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
How often is she vomiting? IN the last 24 hours, how many times?

What colour is the vomitus? what has been in it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

light brown. dog food

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thanks for that information!

If your dog is vomiting anything that looks like chocolate or like coffee grounds, that would be digested blood. If she is vomiting anything bright red, I am sure you would recognize that as blood, too! If she is not able to keep down water or is vomiting blood, then you should see a veterinarian right away as that could indicate that the pork bone has perforated her stomach. That would be very dangerous, and could be fatal.

So, assuming that she has vomited only once or twice, then I do have some suggestions for what you can do at home to help Chula.

These are:

1. Probably the fastest way to help her would be to use Pediatric rectal suppositories made for human infants.

They should be available at any pharmacy. They include dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate (DSS, ColaceTM), glycerin or bisacodyl (DulcolaxTM).

I usually suggest the glycerin suppository.

It comes as a little cone about 1inch long. For a small dog, you would GENTLY insert one of these into the rectum. It usually helps within an hour.

2. Offer her some milk - about 6 tablespoons every 2 to 4 hours. This has a natural laxative effect and may help to move things along.

3. Add fibre

Do this by adding to her diet some canned pumpkin (a couple of tablespoons twice daily - make sure it is plain pumpkin and not pie filler), bran cereal (1 tablespoon twice daily), or Metamucil, Konsil, Siblin or similar product (1 - 2 teaspoons a day).

4. Try a hairball remedy like laxatone, tonic-lax or petromalt. All of these are essentially vaseline with flavouring added.

Many dogs love them! You could start at 2 teaspoons daily and see how she does.

5. Really encourage your dog to drink water.

If she likes dripping water, leave a tap dripping for her.

Offer her the water from a can of tuna, diluted with tap water 50:50.

Offer bottled water and see if she prefers it.

Offer onion free chicken or beef broth, diluted 50:50.

Try a few drops of clam juice in water.

See if she likes water with an ice cube in it.

6. Exercise can help relieve constipation.

Try get her to chase a ball around the house for a few minutes 2 or 3 times a day.

7.Encourage your dog to eat!

The idea is that the more she eats, the more this will encourage things to move through her system.

You could try getting some human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or use it to make a gravy to put over her food. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it.

If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

Add warm water to the Iams adult wet to make a soup - many dogs like that!

Boil a chicken breast and then put it in the blender with water to make a baby-food consistency gruel to offer as a gravy over her dry food.

8. Polyethylene Glycol (Miralax or Glycolax are trade names) is a medication that your vet could prescribe.

It is reported to have excellent results. Also, it's easy to use - just mix the powder (1/4 - 1/2 tsp twice daily) into the food. Start at the lower dose and adjust based on feces 1 to 2 days later (after giving it time to work).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_glycol

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20040201/tips/55.html

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Constipation

Polyethlyene glycol is what all the veterinary gastrointestinal specialists seem to be recommending these days. So, you might want to talk with your vet about that.

I hope that these ideas help you to help your Chula and that she feels better soon!

If you have found this helpful, please "Accept" my answer and leave feedback.

If you need more information, click on reply and I will be here to provide it.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes!

Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario