Dr Eli
Dr Eli, Veterinarian
Experience:  40 years of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery
18785899

My dog accidentally got his neck caught in the car window.

My dog accidentally got his neck caught in the car window. I was able to release the window after only a few seconds, but how serious is this? He's not drinking water but he has had a treat. He tried once to bark and it came out as a hoarse croak. I don't think his throat is swollen and he is breathing alright. Should I wait it out? Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable? Will it be worse tomorrow?
Good afternoon, I'm Dr. Eli. Sorry this happened to your little dog. This type of accident has the potential to do serious injury to the larynx or trachea. The fact that he can swallow his treat is good. I have to recommend you take him to your veterinarian just to be safe. I know he is breathing well now and probably will continue to do so, but I always worry about laryngeal edema which may start accumulating and restrict the breathing. I am not trying to alarm you, but I have seen it happen,and there are medications that can alleviate or prevent this. I hope this information helps. I wish the best for your dog, Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX