Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

how can i prevent liver cancer in my rottweiler, Ive had 6

how can i prevent liver cancer in my rottweiler, Ive had 6 dogs die from this, I have given vitamins,in the past,DO YOU HAVE ANYONE THERE THAT SPECIALS IN THIS FIELD
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. There is no one medication or other method which has been proved to reduce the incidence of liver cancer in dogs. Statistically around one in three dogs will develop some form of cancer be it very minor or major at some point in their lives. Liver cancer is a common malignant cancer of dogs and its cause is unclear and may be due to multiple factors.

2. The best way to reduce the chances of your dog contracting a cancer is to ensure that your dog has a healthy life style and immune system. You would do this in much the same way as you would in a human. A healthy well balanced diet, regular exercise, maintaining a good body mass and a relaxed life style.

3. While this is not proven some people believe that Thistle Milk can help maintain a healthy liver in dogs : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS