David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic
15552883

our dog is limping -back legs weak, nearly lame and shaking,

our dog is limping -back legs weak, nearly lame and shaking, now front paw seems weak. what could it be?

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Different things could be causing these symptoms, such as low blood sugar, a liver disorder, low blood calcium, a neuromuscular disorder called myasthenia gravis, a metabolic disorder (such as Addison's disease), low blood potassium levels. Giving the maple syrup is fine, but I would highly urge you to have your girl examined by a veterinarian and have blood work done as soon as possible to get a diagnosis, so that treatment can be started before the condition worsens.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist further.

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could it be a tick bite? i found a crusty sore on her. or a snake bite? or i read it could be Parvo. our other little boy dog (maltese) had similar symptoms a few days ago, but it only lasted a few minutes and then he was fine. his back leg seemed stiff and he was trembling and couldn't walk for a few mins.the he got up and ran around and has been fine since.

Thanks for your reply. A tick-borne disease is possible, and blood tests for these conditions would be needed to confirm that.

Snake bites can do different thing, depending on the type of snake. You can see anything from local swelling and pain, to digestive problems, to respiratory problems, to neurologic symptoms.

Parvovirus symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, lack of appetite, and lethargy, so this doesn't seem to fit.

I hope this is helpful.

Dr. Dave