Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

my dogs feet are red and look sore. she is constantly licking

my dog's feet are red and look sore. she is constantly licking and knawing at them. the redness only seems to be underneath, between her toes and on her toe knuckles. What could be causing this. she doesn't have it anywhere else on her body.

It sounds very much like Jill has an allergy. You are on the right track. Cleaning her paws thoroughly with baby wipes after each walk is a good way to help reduce the effects of contact with potential allergens. Bathing her weekly in an oatmeal based dog shampoo would also help to reduce the level of allergens on her skin.

I would also consider giving her benadryl up to 3 times per day. She can get ~1mg per pound. Benadryl comes in 25mg tablets, so if she weight ~12.5 pounds, she can get 1/2 tablet every 8-12 hours as needed for licking. Benadryl is very safe, and the most common side effect is to make dogs sleepy.

It is possible that there are other conditions affecting Jill's feet. Some dogs will develop infections between the toes and need to be on antibiotics. Less common but still a possibility is ringworm (a contagious fungal infection), or mange (a microscopic mite). These conditions would require specific diagnostic tests by your veterinarian to rule them in or out. Treatment is also very specific to each condition and would require prescription medication.

If Jill is normal otherwise, I would start with the simple management methods (wiping feet, regular baths, benadryl as needed) and if that doesn't take care of the problem (or at least reduce it significantly) then have her seen by her vet.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you. we will try the benadryl for the next couple of weeks and see how she goes. If there is no improvement we will definately take her to see her vet. thank your your time and reply.

You're quite welcom!

Let me know how she does. You can always go back to this question and reply to me without having to give another deposit.