Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
7995545

my dog hasnt eaten in three days but drinks water....now he

my dog hasnt eaten in three days but drinks water....now he is throwing the water up and just right now his bowel looked black/bloody/mucus like....i read online and it may be parvo... im so scared i plan to take him to the vet as soon as they open in about two hrs....will he survive? hes only six months i just got him and had made an appointment for his first shots but now it seems like i might need more than just shots
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I'm sorry you have had such a long wait to get a response to your question. I just logged on and saw your question and have replied immediately.

I would like to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

What breed of dog is Chubbies, or what kind of mix?

How much does he weigh?

What colour is the vomitus?

Has Chubbies ingested anything like aspirin or ibuprofen?

Fiona

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

chubbies is a mut - dont know exactly wat but i know maltese is somewhere in there - he may weight about 8 lbs right now he hasnt ate anything.... his vomit is white its only water i guess....its his stool that has me worried it was just black might be blood and mucus like....hes sad but gets up to drink water ...his stomach is making a lot of noise like when we are hungry....im so scared the vet isnt open until about another 2 hrs....

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
I understand your concerns. Let's work through this...

How many times has he vomited in the last 24hours?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
like four times..... black stools twice....
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
Ok!

And has Chubbie had any vaccines at all?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sadly, no... that was the initial reason why i made the app for, but hes been like this three days now ..i will tell the vet his symptoms before he gets his first shots....i cant afford hospital stays and im just so afraid he wont make it...

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
Is Chubbies still able to walk around, or is he too weak to stand?

How soon after drinking water does he bring it back up?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he walks when he has to go drink water, and to lswich place where he wants to lay...hes been holding the water for hours probably 6 to 7 hours. and right after he vomits he drinks more water....
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.

Ok!

For right now, I would like you to start by smearing about 1/2 teaspoon of honey on Chubbies' gums.

Your dog may be suffering from HYPOGLYCEMIA (low blood sugar). I would like you to go right now and treat him for this by giving him a 1/2 teaspoon of honey, karo syrup, corn syrup or maple syrup. See if he will lick it off your finger, or rub it on his gums.

In a little guy like this, we always worry about low blood sugar if he is not eating. Smearing on the honey will at least keep his blood sugar up until you see your vet.

Here is more about low blood sugar:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypoglycemia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

There are a lot of different possibilities for what may be going on with your dog. The ones that I would be considering if he were on his way in to see me are:

1. One of the things that I think of first in a young dog is that he may have a Gastrointestinal Foreign Body.

Dogs eat the strangest things - plastic bags, children's toys, bones, bits of towel, socks, rocks and other things. Often, these foreign bodies pass through the intestinal tract, but sometimes they do not. They may get caught in the stomach or the small intestines.

The symptoms of a GI foreign body are generally vomiting, loss of appetite, depression and dehydration. If your dog consumed an object that is caught in the small intestines, it might explain the symptoms that you are seeing. This would be particulary true if the object were something like a ball that could bob over pylorus (outflow from the stomach) and then move away again. Thus, water could pass through but not food.

In the case of an obstruction, surgery is often needed to remove the foreign object. I will include further information about GI foreign bodies:

http://www.michvet.com/library/surgery_gi_foreign_body.asp

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastrointestinal-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If I examined your pup and was concerned about a foreign body, I would probably recommend x-rays to see if a foreign object were visible. A plastic bag would not show up on x-rays. It does, however, show up very well if the dog is given some barium (a type of milkshake like drink) by mouth. Then a determination can be made about how best to get this out of the dog, or whether it might move through on its own.

2. It is possible your little Chubbies simply has gastroenteritis from eating something he shouldn't have. Table scraps or twigs and leaves could be the culprit! Gastroenteritis is an inflammation of the stomach and intestines and can be caused by a large number of things, including sudden dietary changes.

Puppies are notorious for being curious and eating all kinds of things!

3. Another possibility is Parasites.

Here is a link to information about whipworms which are notoriously hard to identify by fecal analysis, and are not killed with pyrantel pamoate (standard puppy dewormer):

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1668

He might also have Coccidia.

Blood in the stool of a puppy is very often caused be COCCIDIA which is a type of parasite (not a worm). Coccidia is a protozoal organism, quite similar to what causes Traveler's Diarrhea in humans.

It can be treated with a course of S-125/Albon medication.

Here is more about this problem:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/protozoan-parasites-in-dogs/page1.aspx

4. A bacterial infection: Dogs can be affected by overgrowths of bacteria in the intestines. In an adult dog these might not be more than a nuisance, but in a pup they can be serious. The 3 most common are Campylobacter, Salmonella and E.Coli.

Here is a link with more information:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2232

5. Parvo virus.

I KNOW THAT THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE MOST CONCERNED ABOUT IN YOUR DOG!

Parvo is a highly contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea, often with blood, in puppies. It causes severe dehydration, and untreated often results in death.

Usually, it would take a couple of days of untreated vomiting and diarrhea before the puppy died.

Puppies are routinely vaccinated for Parvo virus as part of their regular vaccines. These are usually given at 8, 12 and 16 weeks.

Once fully vaccinated, there is a virtually zero chance of a dog getting Parvo virus.

Some breeds are more susceptible to Parvo - this means that they get sicker and take longer to recover than other breeds. The susceptible breeds are Rottweillers, Dobermans and Labrador Retrievers.

Here are links to more information:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=580

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1556&articleid=467

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that there are a number of possibilities for what may be going on. Your vet would need to do a physical exam and possibly some diagnostic tests to figure out what the underlying problem is. I would start with a fecal sample, blood test and abdominal x-rays. It sounds like it is time to find out what is going on!

If he is feeling unwell at the moment, there are some things you can do at home until you can get him in to the vet:

1. WITH-HOLD FOOD for 12 hours since he has been vomiting today.

This gives the intestines a chance to rest and heal.

2. When he is fasting, he can have lots of clear fluids.

So, water is fine, but also he can have pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water. Give the fluids in small amounts frequently. For a dog this size that means about 1/4 cup an hour.

It is important that you do offer these fluids that have calories in them as low blood sugar is a problem in small dogs.

Here is more about it:

3. After 12 hours, you can start your dog back on a bland diet.

For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 1 tablespoon every 3 to 4 hours.

4. After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change your dog back to the normal dog food.

So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.

5. Keep your dog as quiet as possible - just out to relieve himself and back in.

Please contact your veterinarian as soon as they open. Like, you, my top concern is parvo virus. With aggressive treament, most dogs do survive Parvo virus!

Good luck with Chubbies!

If this has been helpful, please "Accept" my answer and provide feedback.

If you need more information, click on reply and I will still be here to answer further questions!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes to you and to your dog!

Fiona

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX did happen all of a sudden.... i just gave him the honey and he was okay with it i guess....this started monday after i switched foods on him... ive read a lot online and if it is parvo a lot of people say not to leave him at a vet because they are not with it 24 hrs - my vet closes at 8 pm....that im better off bringing him home and getting the proper meds from the vet.... whats your suggestion? im sorry for being so pushy
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
You are not being pushy at all - you are trying to help your puppy!

IF he has parvo virus, he would be much better off to stay at his veterinarian's office on intravenous fluids than to come home.

Dogs with parvo die of dehydration because they cannot absorb any water they drink. They either vomit it up, or pass it as diarrhea.

So, the way we help them to survive is by giving fluids directly into the vein. This is MUCH more effective than giving it as an injection under the skin.

So, if Chubbies has parvo, he should stay with his vet until he can keep down food and water. That often takes 3 days.

Even a sudden food change should not cause the symptoms you are seeing. So, I do think that this is more serious than an upset stomach from a food change. Chubbies is just a little bean, and losing fluid and blood in such a little guy is much more quickly dangerous than if he weighed 150lbs!

So, please do plan to be on your vet's doorstep when they open.

I hope little Chubbies feels much better soon!
Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario