Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine

Why does my dog lick my skin so much

Why does my dog lick my skin so much?
Hello, I'm Dr.Bob.
Has Dixie always been like this, or is this a recent behavior change?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know, I just adopted her 2 weeks ago from an elderly man who went to a nursing home. She hates to be a lone and is very loving. ..and she is deaf as a knock knob.
Okay. Just as in humans, the longer a behavior pattern has been present, the longer it takes, and the harder it is to break. There is a product called "Bitter Apple" available in pet stores or from veterinarians that should help a lot in stopping this unwanted behavior.
Spray a cotton tipped applicator (Q-Tip) with the product and place it in Dixie's mouth. Hold her mouth closed on the Q-Tip for a few seconds to be sure she's gotten a good taste of it. Then, spray a very light mist over your hands, arms and anything else she tends to be able to reach to lick. Do not spray your face, just don't let her lick you there.
WARNING: This stuff is horrible tasting and be careful not to get it into your own mouth or you'll understand all too well why it works!
After a week or so, try not using it for a day, she may not persist in the behavior, but if she does, use the spray another week. Keep using it with an occasional day off until she's out of the licking habit.
If you have further questions, please let me know.
Good luck!
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just ask why she does this, not put some horrible stuff in her mouth to stop it. I just want to know..why she does this..thats all.
Okay. Dogs do this because they explore the world with their mouth, express affection and clean themselves and others in their "pack" by licking.
Since can't hear when you talk to her, and doesn't understand when you push her away, the only other option is to do something that makes her licking less pleasant to her.
If her licking doesn't bother you, then it's relatively harmless and really not a problem.
Best regards,
Dr. Bob