Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

My ten year old shih tzu had a large spleenic tumor removed

My ten year old shih tzu had a large spleenic tumor removed along with her spleen last December. The Vet charged us less than half the usual fee to save us money, therefore he did not send off for a biopsy. He said these type of tumors a generally malignant and that in five months we should know. Recently I have noticed her stomach seems has enlarged as before the surgery. She eats fine. Stool is fine. What should I be looking for if it was cancerous?

thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

50% of splenic tumors are malignant and 50% are benign. If the spleen tumor was malignant, the first place is will usually spread to is the liver or the lungs. Sings of this would be difficulty breathing, fluid build up in the abdomen, loss of appetite, weight loss and lethargy.