Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

Is Loquat Fruit poisonous for dogs? My dog just ate it.

My dog just ate a loquat fruit from a tree in our garden. Are the pits poisonous? What should we do?

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answers. I am here to try to help.

This plant is part of the rose family and bears yellow fruits with seeds. This was an interesting one to research!! Many different opinions.

The seeds of this plant do contain cyanide in small amounts -- the leaves etc are associated with some other toxicity. The fruits apparently are edible.

If large amounts of the seeds were opened and chewed -- possibly it would be a problem. Poison control stated that the seeds will pass through the body undigested and do not pose a problem in small quantities.

You should be fine --