How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Scott Your Own Question
Dr. Scott
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 15168
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Scott is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

dog ate benicar

Resolved Question:

dog ate benicar
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

How long ago was it ingested?

How many mg were ingested?

What does the dog weigh?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

1 hour

20 mg

5 lb

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
If it was ingested that long ago, it may be too late to induce vomiting. It should be done within an hour. Most drugs will be absorbed into the blood stream by now. That amount is definitely an overdose for a 5 pound dog. The drug causes the same effect in dogs as it does in people. Dizziness, weakness, slow heart rate and collapse are all possible. If you see any of those signs, the dog will need treatment. IV fluids are used to counteract the drop in blood pressure and medications are used to increase the heart rate. An overdose at this level can be fatal and the dog needs to be carefully monitored for the next 24 hours.
Dr. Scott and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Veterinary Questions