Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

a chronic cough and a heart murmur enlarged heart treatment

a chronic cough and a heart murmur = enlarged heart? treatment for that for a 13 year old female lab?
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. A chronic cough plus a heart murmer does not necessarily mean clinical heart disease as many dogs can have heart murmers which are causing no problem so you could get the situation where there is bronchitis or chronic respiratory disease plus a harmless heart murmer.

2. Having said that in a Lab of 13 a chronic cough plus a heart murmer is very suspicious of heart disease.

3. You could be in the position where there is a heart valve defect such as endocardosis causing the murmer and the cough but with no significant heart enlargement or cardiomegaly which is an enlarged heart. The x-ray will help your vet differentiate.

4. Surgical options for treatment will normally not be possible but there would be a range of drugs such as diuretics and the likes of enacard which could well prolong you dog's life for a time. { Meaning good quality life } The precise choice of drugs will depend on the final diagnosis and the progress of the disease.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS