petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

what would cause my dog to drool excessively and to act scared

what would cause my dog to drool excessively and to act scared and abnormally calm? he is usually very hyper and does not ever drool.

Drooling can be seen in dogs for various reasons. Sometimes it can be behavioral in response to fear. More commonly we can see it from an upset gastrointestinal tract and associated nausea and/or vomiting. Some dogs will drool when they are motion sick after a car ride. Less commonly, dogs will drool in response to pain. Pain can sometimes be hard to localize, but in larger dogs like golden retrievers, I would be most worried about their hips. Another common cause for drooling can be any sort of dental disease. Mouth or associated tooth pain can make a dog very uncomfortable.

Since Sammy is acting abnormally, if it persists, I would definitely have him examined to see if the potential cause can be identified. I hope this information is helpful, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Edited by Dr Z on 5/1/2010 at 2:54 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got him as a rescue dog. he was left in a back yard for several days or maybe weeks by his pervious owners. I had a sore on his leg recently that a vet said it was because he was licking himself. We have also moved recently from a house on 2 acres to a house with a small back yard we run and try to give him a lot of exercise. Could this be a sign of anxiety?

Yes, drooling could be a sign of anxiety, but it is usually more acute (i.e. the dog that comes into the veterinary clinic for an exam that is nervous). I wouldn't expect to see it as a more chronic and long-lasting symptom.

His symptoms don't seem to fit with an anxious behavior. Keep a close eye in him, and if it continues, have someone examine him.