Dr. Ann
Dr. Ann, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 20 years and a dog owner for 30 years.
13950383

my dogs nipples are swollen and she jus ended her period and

Customer Question

my dogs nipples are swollen and she jus ended her period and shes about 8 months old, is she pregnant, or is it a false pregnancy or is there something wrong with her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann replied 4 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER-esj44fs,

It is too early to know if your puppy is pregnant at this point. The first question is- was she around any male dogs or in an unsupervised area where a stray male dog could have gotten to her? A dog's nipples do usually enlarge after a heat cycle as part of the "false pregnancy" scenario. Approximately 6 weeks after breeding with a male dog, an ultrasound or x ray of her abdomen will show if there are any puppies or not. At this point, you are seeing a normal change in a dog after her heat cycle and if she had no exposure to male dogs, you should not have to worry about pregnancy! Hope I've answered your question!

Dr. Ann
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so what is a false pregnancy then? what happens while shes going through that and will my dog be ok? would a false pregnancy hurt her? and yes she has been outside on a chain when i let her out to go pee sumtimes for like 15 minutes n most of the time i dont watch her while shes out there... and theres a male dog down the street thats nevr tied up... and i was thinking there was a possibility she could be pregnant because that dog has come into our yard before. so if a false pregnancy is normal i dont got to worry about taking her to the vet for it, do i?
Expert:  Dr. Ann replied 4 years ago.
If the male dog down the street is not neutered, you have a fair chance that your girl got knocked up! The term "false pregnancy" actually refers to the normal changes a female dog's body goes through following the heat cycle. The body prepares for pregnancy after every heat- nipples enlarge, they can exhibit nesting behavior (such as carrying a stuffed animal around and whining), abdomen actually looking bigger, etc.). These don't hurt your dog but they can be rather annoying behaviors! There is no use taking your dog to the vet now because it is too early to determine if she is pregnant. If you weren't planning on having puppies, you could get her spayed in about 4 weeks- that would be a safe surgery even if she was pregnant. If you are hoping to breed her some day, then you'll have to wait this one out and see if any puppies arrive in 2 months. The gestation period for dogs is 63 days. Again, you can have an x ray taken in 6 weeks to let you know whether there are any puppies to expect.
Hope this answers your questions!

Dr. Ann
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok then i got 1 more question my dog was puking a couple weeks ago and she was puking almost evry day, but she hasnt been puking rescently. so could there be something wrong? and she pukes evry now and then and i dont know why?
Expert:  Dr. Ann replied 4 years ago.
If she was eating grass and then puking, that is pretty normal. She may also have eaten something that disagreed with her stomach and once she got it out of her system, she was fine. All dogs throw up occasionally and we don't worry about it unless they start to lose weight or it is happening consistently. Try not to feed her any food from the table! Hope this answers your questions!

Dr. Ann
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you so much for answering my questions, and im sorry im asking so many questions. i just wanted to make sure she's ok. and 1 more question, when will her swelling go away and be back to normal?
Expert:  Dr. Ann replied 4 years ago.
It can take up to 3 months for the swelling to go down. Many dogs will never have their nipples go down to the same size as before but they should shrink down from what you are seeing now.

Dr. Ann