Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

lower joint on my dogs rear leg is swollen and wont put any

Customer Question

lower joint on my dogs rear leg is swollen and won't put any weight on it. he won't let me touch it and he doesn't fully extend it when he rolls around on his back
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Restricted activity will be insufficient.
With observable swelling in the leg he must be examined by a vet, today.

He deserves to get an appropriate anti-inflammatory and pain medication. Swelling can be due to a severe soft tissue injury, fracture of bone, hypersensitivity reaction (like an insect bite), abscess formation, to name a few.

Well worth getting him in ASAP.

Good Luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry no such thing as a vet withinXXXXX. swelling didnt show up for a week after he started holding it in the air.doesn't show discomfort when laying around or walking.seems happy.need more infomation . not bug bite or cuts or punctures.since i have to be the vet what can be done
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
?

I can only offer giving an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory.

The only over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory I recommend in dogs (NOT CATS) is aspirin. Due to potential toxicity issues if not dosed correctly, many veterinarians do not consider Tylenol, Ibuprofen (Advil), and Aleve safe. You can find the dose for aspirin in the following link:

Aspirin

***Do not give aspirin or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication if your pet is already on prednisone or any other anti-inflammatory medication***

Severe stomach and intestinal ulcers can result from giving a pet aspirin, Tylenol or ibuprofen when they are also on medications like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Prednisone, Metecam, Zubrin, and Previcox***

Restricting activity. Maybe some massage therapy (gently) of area with alternating cold and warm packs.

Not ideal, but all I can suggest.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well dr andy, my daddy didn't spend thousands for my edjumacation but this internet thing comes up with alot of answers. Yours isn't any different than all the free ones . sorry not paying for common country advise.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
:)

I'm not sure if you are literally trying to offend me, but that is okay.
The same country advise and internet resources have led to countless pets with injuries getting severe liver damage or kidney failure as a result of blindly giving drugs to pets they shouldn't of, but learned from the internet. I know. I have answered thousands of questions, and this is a routine problem.

So, I am sure the internet told you the differences between the non-steroidals and why to use only aspirin.

I'm sure the internet told you what to give to help deal with the stomach upset that will likely occur with any of the human non-steroidals.
So, free of charge. Go ahead, use the link that provides the dosing directions for aspirin, and hopefully, your pet does not have a more serious injury. I wish for your pet the best.

Hey. Sometimes, the free advice is good. Sometimes, JustAnswer will only confirm the obvious. Every solution doesn't necessarily have to have some secret remedy only known by a vet. It happens.

It's the pets that die, literally, as a result of bad internet advice. That's where the thousands I spent on my education is designed to help you for $15.

Good Luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well since im paying i expect more! so if thats all you got,i'll try elsewhere for a little more indepth advice,guess you get what you pay for!!!
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like a good plan.
Feel free to update me on the more expensive advice that you get. I would like to know what someone else recommends.

Leg is swollen, he won't let you touch it, not fully extending it, not bearing weight on it.
Based on your description, your pet deserves theXXXXXto get the problem diagnosed and treated.

"You get what you pay for"???

I am sorry, if you find better advice for more money at another site, I am all ears as to what they recommend.

Good Luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you just don't get it. A vet is not an option where i live.If it was he would already be there!! i have been giving him asprin, if it was a person , i would have to be doctor!i was hoping money wasn't the issue,guess i was wrong!! Seems to me the care of my dog isn't your intrest. The money you make from a quick answer like take him to a vet is!!hope you never get hurt in a remote place where assistance is hours away and the only help you can get is someone saying take him to the doctor!For the amount of time and b.s. you have givin me ,you could of gave me useful info that might help me help my friend!!
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
I wish I could.
There is no other safe info for me to provide.
There are no other non-steroidals I can offer. There is no other way for me to get the swelling down, plus I don't know the severity of the injury.

Money. It was never a money issue for me. $15. I don't get all that. I get a fraction. I enjoy answerng questions on the internet. I have a regular full-time job. Please, feel free to peruse the thousands of accepts and positive feedback I have received.

Some questions simply can't provide greater answers.
By the way, I never mentioned money. I believe you did:
"i'll try elsewhere for a little more indepth advice,guess you get what you pay for!!!"

It's like someone in the Army. Injury to the neck and they are bleeding out. There is only so much a soldier can do in the field to help him. Same situation.
I can't even see or palpate the leg, which makes me at a further disadvantage.

Why do you think I would be able to give "more" useful information, just because I am spending more time? I'm not holding out on you. We are vets.

The care of my dog isn't your interest? Why. Because I can't offer more information or a solution to the problem. Isn't that a bit unfair to a vet who is trying to help over-the-internet.

Feel free to continue attacking me. I have thousands of accepts and incredible feedback, and I am very happy how I have helped those people. Hopefully, the points I have made above illustrate some basic points. Again, you inferred it was a money thing when you suggested you get what you pay for. You said that, not me....

If the aspirin does cause stomach upset, you can give any of the following antacids:

To help settle the stomach you could try one of the following drugs. My favorite product is Pepcid (an over-the-counter antacid).

Pepcid comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours.

Pepcid

.

Prilosec

.

Zantac

Actually, one other thought....
IF you have seen your vet in the last year. Call them. They can authorize you to get some prescriptions, maybe (if they are willing), over-the-internet.
However, they won't if the examine has not been in the past year (a legal thing).
They can give a much stronger non-steroidal and better pain medication.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry to hear you think im attacking you, i just expected better info. In the time i spent dealing with you i found the info i was looking for , it was free! Check out , Pet alert, it gave great info on hock and limb injuries and tons of first aid.You might want to save it to fav's or just pass it on to clients. i might not be able to help my friend but i am alot more informed about the possible injury,,s??to the hock. Knowledge is empowering and most people know how to use it once they have it!!
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for info.
Unfortunately, it was a site similar to this that shows how to apply splints, where a client of my own and maybe a half dozen of others I have addressed on this site, where the bandages were applied incorrectly causing pressure necrosis to the skin (skin sloughed off). Another, caused greater injury because the leg was fractured and the manipulation of the limb into the splint caused greater displacement of the two bones. As a result, that bones did not heal together (malunion).

Now, your stuck. No access to a vet. But, for these individuals, they delayed getting to a vet and wanted to treat on their own. As a result, one euthanized, a few I recall required multiple surgeries, and one need skin grafting.

Website is interesting for some other stuff, but definitely dangerous.

Good Luck